On my end of the woods, Mother Nature is being bi polar as ever! The temperature is all types of crazy and as of lately, it’s been super cold. That can only mean one thing.. SOUP! Who doesn’t love a big bowl of warm soup? *crickets* exactly.
I was at a cute little Vegan restaurant a couple of weeks ago & for starters they served soup, an Italian Lentil soup.. and it changed my life. not really but it was just so delicious. I tried to come up with something similar and to my surprise I was satisfied!
- 1 lb of lentils (2 cups)
- 8 cups of vegetable stock (I split it in half and did 4 cups stock / 4 cups water)
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 cloves of garlic (chopped / minced)
- 1 tsp of dried thyme (or fresh)
- 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- small bag of kale (or a few handfuls)
- 1/2 cup of whole mushrooms (cleaned and sliced in half)
- 1 large carrot (shredded. they sell carrots already shredded to save you time)
- box of ditalini pasta
- Rinse off your lentils and put into a large pot
- pour in the vegetable stock (and water if you also split it up) add in salt
- bring to a boil and then put a cover on the pot and reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes
- mince up garlic and chop up mushrooms
- cook pasta according to directions on box in a separate pot
- while your lentils are still simmering add in your thyme/italian seasons/garlic/bay leaf.. place cover back on and continue to simmer
- once your pasta is done cooking / drain and let cool off a bit
- shred your carrot
- satuee your mushrooms and kale in a pan (i just used a little olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper to taste)
- now that your lentils are all finished cooking, remove lid and put heat on low
- mix in pasta
- add in your shredded carrot/mushrooms/kale
- put in the red wine vinegar give everything a gentle stir
- sprinkle some salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- enjoy while warm
**I just wanted to add if by any chance your lentils start looking a little dry, just add in a little more vegetable stock or water.
I promise you this soup will warm your insides up and make you feel great! I will definitely be making this again for my family. I hope you do the same.